nay n : a negative; "the nays have it" [ant: yea] adv : not this merely but also; not only so but; "each of us is peculiar, nay, in a sense unique"
- nā, /neɪ/, /neI/
- or even, or more like, or should I say
- His face was dirty, nay filthy.
- 1748. David Hume. Enquiries concerning the human understanding
and concerning the principles of moral. London: Oxford University
Press, 1973. § 18.
- And even in our wildest and most wandering reveries, nay in our very dreams, we shall find, if we reflect, that the imagination ran not altogether at adventures,
Portuguese: ou mesmo
- A vote against.
- I vote nay, even though the motion is popular, because I would rather be right than popular.
- A person who voted against.
- The vote is 4 in favor and 20 opposed, the nays have it.
Nay may refer to:
- Nay (also ney, nye, nai), a wind instrument
- Nay, a place in the Manche département of France
- Nay, a place in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques département of France
- Nay, meaning "no", is also the word used during viva voce voting in the U.S. House of Representatives. It is the opposite of "yea".
- Nay Phillips of Camden
nay in German: Nay (Begriffsklärung)
nay in Spanish: Nay
nay in French: Nay
nay in Italian: NAY
nay in Dutch: Nay
Australian ballot, Hare system, No, abnegation, au contraire, aye, ballot, canvass, canvassing, casting vote, certainly not, con, contradiction, counting heads, cumulative voting, deciding vote, declension, declination, declinature, declining, denial, deprivation, disagreement, disallowance, disclaimer, disclamation, disobedience, dissent, division, enfranchisement, fagot vote, far from it, franchise, graveyard vote, hand vote, holding back, indeed, interest, list system, naysaying, negation, negative, negative answer, negative attitude, negativeness, negativism, negativity, nein, nit, nix, no, no such thing, non, nonacceptance, noncompliance, nonconsent, nonobservance, nontransferable vote, nope, not, not a bit, not a jot, not a whit, not really, not so, nyet, plebiscite, plebiscitum, plumper, plural vote, poll, polling, preferential voting, pro, proportional representation, proxy, quite the contrary, recantation, record vote, referendum, refusal, rejection, representation, repudiation, retention, right to vote, rising vote, say, secret ballot, show of hands, side, single vote, snap vote, straw vote, suffrage, the affirmative, the negative, thumbs-down, to the contrary, transferable vote, truly, turndown, unwillingness, verily, viva voce, voice, voice vote, vote, voting, voting right, withholding, write-in, write-in vote, yea, yeas and nays, yes